Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The difference between a great man & an ass

Last night, I reached into the mailbox as I was walking into my house.  The quarterly magazine from George Washington University (GW) was there (my son goes to GW).  The cover had a simple photo of Harry Reid on the cover.  Turns out that Mr. Reid was a 1964 graduate of GW with his law degree.  I'm confident that you, the reader knows who Harry Reid is, but if you do not, Mr. Reid is a U.S. senator from Nevada (retiring in January).  Mr Reid has been the leader of the Senate Democrats for many years and has held the post of both Senate Minority Leader and Senate Majority Leader.

As I was reading the article about Mr. Reid, I saw the following photo:


Image result for harry reid;s boyhood home   0


This, it turned out, is a photo of Harry Reid's boyhood home in Nevada.  I thought about the photo and the man that emerged from this structure.  As is often attributed to Confucius, 'a picture speaks a thousand words' or as Rod Stewart sang "every picture tells a story, don't it".

It occurred to me that I wanted to see the same picture for trump.  I found two photos and they are as follows:


  Image result for trump's boyhood homeImage result for trump's boyhood home


What a difference.  Now, I'm not saying that the structure a person grows up in, is the determiner of a persons moral character or the metal of a persons spirit and soul, but I leave it to you, the reader, to draw your own conclusions as to the contribution these vastly different environments may have had on each person; one a man, the other an ass (in my opinion).

Lastly, I want to speculate a little bit.  I'm willing to bet (and I am not a betting man) that very few if any of trump's and bannon's supporters grew up in such an environment or find themselves in such an environment currently.  These people whine about how bad things are and how bad they, the white males in our country, have it..  I suggest that people who think this way and who take advantage of people that think this way, suck it up and live up to Senator Reid's example of building success out of humble beginnings, while remaining humble, with a strong and quality moral compass.


No comments:

Post a Comment